Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Collecting Catch-Up and Ghostly Kell

It's been a busy day of updating the blog. I've received a ton of great trade packages lately, just went to a card show, not to mention a slew of eBay packages. Lots to scan, enter into the want lists, and then put away. After a busy summer semester and a week of work in Kentucky that involved grading thousands of papers and drinking dozens of beers, collecting has taken a back seat, and now it's begging for attention. Catching up has been a lot of work today, but I realized, while leaning over the computer and squinting at card numbers, that I love this work. Completely calming, and there's something so nice about the clarity of this task, the instant gratification, and the opportunity to be a kid and play with cardboard.

Anyway, the want lists are now all up-to-date. Go check them out. I'm ready to trade, folks. Of course, quite a few of you know this. I've got a bunch of trade packages going out tomorrow. And those of you who have sent me trade packages in the last month or so, thanks a ton. You guys have made a tough few months better with cardboard. I'll be posting about them soon.

And, so this trade isn't just a bunch of boring words, it's time for a picture:

I picked this one up on eBay for about $3 shipped. This is a great set. I love the design, the way the background weaves in and out of the picture of Kell. There's kind of a ghostly effect happening here. Kell's kind of looking like Marty McFly after he's been messing around with his mom too much.

This is my first relic of George Kell, a legendary Tiger who I've been meaning to collect more. The chunk of bat here is very cool. There's something clearly different about the woodgrain from the older generations. I can't quite put my finger on it: more imperfections in the wood maybe?

Now it's time to get back to rocking out those trade packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment