Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Updating the Lists

Last night, I finally finished updating my player collection lists on the blog. You can find them on the upper right of the page if you're interested. They're just big ol' lists of every card I have of the players I collect. But those lists mean a lot to me. I love lists. I love organization. It feels like an accomplishment to file a card away, to add it to my ever-growing list. I think there's something about most of us collector's that love this kind of zen-like practice. Well, it's zen-like on the best days, calming and gratifying. Other days, when we're trying to clean up the card closet or faced with a bunch of big stacks of disorganized cards, it can feel a bit more like a hurricane recovery or like one of Dante's circles.

Anyway, I finally got my lists caught up. Mind you, I still have to put cards in their respective player collection binder, but at least the cards are noted. This process involves me sitting with a stack of Kalines or Pudges and typing the card number and name into Check Out My Cards or eBay until I find the right listing. This is how I do it, anyway. While going through those stacks and researching the cards, I was reminded of some of the great new cards in the collection. So, I'll share them with you now.

Here we have some quintessential oddball. This is a 1986 True Value card that's just oversized enough to not fit in most binder pages. It's big and goofy and features Cal with a half-open mouth, as if he were about to spew. It's terrible, and it's perfect. I nabbed this card from Eutaw Street Cardboard's virtual dime box, and now it's in its proper place: my Ripken player collection.


From oddball to manu-gimmick, here's a 2011 nameplate thingamajig of Mr. Triple Crown. I think this was about a buck shipped off eBay. Quite a bargain for a card that I'm not sure what to call. A hit? An insert? A piece of fake leather and some cardboard? I'll call it a new member of the Miggy player collection.


And to the Pudge player collection goes this 2002 UD Diamond Connection bat chunk, which they just couldn't leave alone. They had to bust out their pyrography skills and plaster this with a Rangers logo.

This 1970 Topps high number Kaline had been teasing me for a while, but I finally found one it beat-up enough condition to fit my budget. Kaline looks a little pissed off at whatever's going on up in the stands. Willie Horton's doing the chicken dance naked or something. With it's creased corner and busted side, in this piece of cardboard goes to the Kaline player collection.
 
This Verlander came in a trade from the Daily Dimwit with some other great cards I'll post later, since I'm perpetually behind in my trade posts. I love this card, really dig the black border. Verlander's having a bad year, I hear a lot of my fellow Tigers fans saying. But if any other player was having this year it would be their career year. I'm never worried about Justin, and always thrilled to add a card to the Verlander player collection.
 
Phew. That does it for me. I've updated my lists and posted a new card from each collection. I'll call that a post. And now you can help me screw these tidy lists up by trading me some cards I don't have listed. I'm ready for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment