Saturday, October 20, 2012

Vintage Chicle Tigers: Tommy Wishes the Tigers Luck

The Tigers are headed to the World Series, and I couldn't be more thrilled. They looked crazy strong against the Yankees. The only thing I could have to complain about is how much focus the Yankees got for getting swept. All the world seems to want to talk about is how terrible the Yankees offense was. But there's much less talk about how amazing the Tigers' starting pitchers were. Fister, Scherzer, and, of course, Verlander, have been on fire. The Vealtones extend a nod and a hat tip your way, boys.

To honor these great pitchers, I'll show off a recent cardboard acquisition of another WS Tigers pitcher: Tommy Bridges.

Beauty of a card, right? From one of my favorite vintage sets: Diamond Stars or Chicle or whatever you want to call it. This one is pretty beat up and darkened, but still awesome. Especially since Tommy was the shit. He played all 16 of his seasons for the Tigers, and helped the Tigers win their first WS in 1935, winning 2 games in that series. So, here's Tommy tossing some luck Verlander's way. Like he needs it! Ha!

And here's the back, in case you're interested, which looks like some piece of ancient parchment Indiana Jones might've pulled from a tomb. Diamond Stars' backs look pretty boring, but if you've never seen one, instead of stats they write lessons for young ball players. Pretty unique.

I snagged this card off of the ol' eBay for right around $5. A steal, really, for these cards in any condition. I'd love to finish the Tigers team set someday, but it'll be tough with players like Hank Greenberg, Mickey Cochrane, and Charlie Gehringer. For now, Tommy here will join my other Tigers card from this set:

And I'm hoping the Tigers add another WS win to their history. Go Tigers!

2 comments:

  1. How great it could be a rematch of the 2006 World Series! Hopefully it will be the same result! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greats cards. I agree that the coverage of the Tigers has been lacking compared to the F'in Yankees. It could be worse. The Cardinals/Giants is being announced by a former Cardinal and a guy whose father broadcast the Cardinals for 2 millions years. No favoritism there I'm sure. I cannot watch the World Series as Tim McCarver makes me vomit. Go Tigers!

    ReplyDelete