Monday, January 21, 2013

Farewell to the Man: My Tiny, Battered Musial Collection

I was very saddened to hear the news about Stan the Man passing. Baseball will miss him, one to the best players and one of the best humans ever to play the game.

I don't have much of a Musial collection, but I did snag this just a few weeks ago in a lot labeled "Old Baseball Cards." If I broke it down by card, I ended up paying about a dollar for this, for a true legend. It's pretty beat up, but totally a gem to me.

Here's my other Musial, which I bought from my LCS for $2. I really love this subset, and what an honor it is to own and be able to show off this work of art.

The blogging world has already said just about every great thing and interesting fact that can be said about Stan, like how his career hits were split up dead even: 1815 at home, 1815 away. I love that our community can come together to educate and celebrate our heroes. I'll end with a Costas quote that's probably already been posted dozens of times this week: "[Stan] didn't hit a homer in his last at-bat; he hit a single. He didn't hit in 56 straight games. He married his high school sweetheart and stayed married to her. ... All Musial represents is more than two decades of sustained excellence and complete decency as a human being." 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards. That '59 is absolutely awesome. I'd love to have that one in my collection, no matter the condition.

    RIP Stan "The Man" Musial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $3 for those two cards is like stealing. little beat up but not like there is magic marker written all over them.

    Love both of those cards.



    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with deal. That's $3 extremely well spent. The '59 looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete