Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Trip to Fenway: A Boston Dime Box

I recently made a trip to Boston for work. I ended up getting a hotel right by Fenway, which was awesome. I'm not a Red Sox fan, but what baseball fan wouldn't be excited to see Fenway? I celebrated the historic park by jogging a few laps around it at night, which was the highlight of my trip.

I also managed to find a card shop in walking distance from Fenway. It was overpriced on many things, as everything in Boston was (hell, the airports sold cheaper sodas than the shops in the city), but I found some great cards and a few sweet deals.


I'd been wanting this Wertz card for a long time, and this one was in pristine condition. I paid $6 for it. Usually too much for me. But that's the price of doing business in Boston, I figured. And this card is a masterpiece. I love the lone slide going on here and Wertz's goofy looking smile. 

The people who worked at the shop were completely polite and kind, and one of the guys kept pulling boxes of vintage for me, even though I couldn't afford the slabbed Hank Greenbergs and Al Kaline rookies. Once I told him I was a Tigers fan, he started digging up some unique stuff for me, including this:

A 1967 Norm Cash. Nothing special here, you say, besides that penciled mustache some cardboard vandal decided to give Norman. Well, you're wrong. This is a first for the Vealtones Tigers collection. We're going international! This is a Venezuela 1967 Topps card. The main difference is that these cards have a slightly green tint.

No stats and a bunch of Spanish on the back. Neato, right?

Now, I did nail a few sweet bargains. The shop mostly had vintage and high end hits, but the shop owner did pull a box of newer bargain stuff that was all half off, which made each one of these cards cost about a dime.

These are just a few of the highlights. I dig the Best cards which are super thick and numbered, and I didn't know this Straily guy was actually starting to do some solid pitching in the majors. Best of all, of course, are the Avisail Bowman cards. These are my first Avisail cards of any kind. I've been trying to find them for a decent price, hell for a buck or two, and I snagged two of them for a dime each. Not bad. So, I did find some bargains in Boston.

All in all, it was a productive trip. Fenway was nice, the city is beautiful, and I love that accent. The only thing that would've made the trip better would've been if I would've had a beer with Carl Crawford Cards.

3 comments:

  1. good deal...glad u enjoyed the fenway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! One of my biggest dreams is to visit Fenway one day.

    I've never seen one of those Venezuelan cards before. The Wertz is awesome as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Next time, man. Glad you squeezed some baseball into your time in Boston.

    ReplyDelete