Friday, June 24, 2011

Nolan Ryan Rocks a Duster

I'm not necessarily a Nolan Ryan collector, yet who can turn down a Nolan Ryan card when they find one in the dime box? It's especially hard to turn one down when they're as garish as this:

I look at this card and think of the designer. You can just tell he thought this was the coolest card ever made. We have the sweet profile art of Nolan's stare. Standing on his shoulders are the angel and devil Nolans. The angel is all business, working into the windup, saying, OK, we have 300 wins. Now let's get back to work. And then there's the devil wearing his sweet duster and stetson hat, and he just wants to shoot some shit.

The "Nolan" font at the top screams early '90s radicalness. And the designer couldn't refrain from even making 300 cooler by putting some baseballs in the zeros.

Yep, it's a pretty terrible card, but terrible in a great way for those of us who stumbled upon collecting in the junk wax era.

The real reason I'm posting this card is that I can't figure out what the hell it is. There's nothing to reveal the maker on the front, and here's the back:



It lists some of Nolan's notable numbers, but nothing to reveal the year. From the stats, I'd guess 1991. But no copyright date, no brand markers. What the hell is this thing? I did a similar post about an odd promo Ripken card a while back, and Ryan over at This Card Is Cool responded in depth about the promo oddball craze of the early '90s. So maybe this is another one of those startup companies that never really existed. Anyone have any more info on this bad boy? Perhaps we can all just revel in the sweetness of mini devil Nolan in a duster.

1 comment:

  1. I think this one isn't even a startup company, just a custom card distributed to the masses. I believe I had this card at one point, and I may still have it in storage. I noticed they misspelled Rickey Henderson's name.

    ReplyDelete